The Performing Arts at Shore continue to grow rapidly, both in terms of number of boys involved and the breadth of activities offered. The standard of public performances over recent years reflects the high quality of instruction available to all students at Shore.
In addition to Music and Drama curricula, a wide range of co-curricular activities are offered in the Performing Arts.
- musical and dramatic productions
- private instrumental/vocal tuition
- performing in an instrumental ensemble
- performing in a vocal ensemble
- performing in a dance ensemble
- learning the technical aspects of production
The Co-Curricular Music Programme provides an opportunity in ensemble experience for all boys who learn instruments or love to sing.
The Head of Strings works in the Preparatory and Senior Schools in order to provide broad opportunities for performance and development of ensemble skills. The ensembles currently offered are:
- Prep String Orchestra
- Prep String Quartet
- Intermediate String Ensemble
- Senior String Ensemble
- Senior String Quartet
- Shore Symphony Orchestra (includes wind and percussion)
The Coordinator of Bands oversees a comprehensive programme in both the Preparatory and Senior Schools, providing excellent opportunities for wind and percussion players to develop their ensemble technique and expand their band repertoire. The ensembles currently offered are:
- Prep Concert Band
- Prep Jazz Band
- Concert Bands I & II
- Senior Stage Band
- Senior Jazz Band
- Saxophone Quartet
- Horn Ensemble
Shore has a choral tradition which is almost as old as the School itself. The opening of a magnificent Chapel in 1915 with pipe organ and excellent acoustics provided an ideal environment for the performance of the then Church of England choral liturgy. Today the Choirmaster oversees an active programme which includes:
- The Chapel Choir, which sings at Open Chapel Services, concerts, weddings and other special events. This ensemble divides at times into chamber groups such as treble/alto and tenor/bass choir.
- Foreshore is a small vocal ensemble which enables experienced choristers to perform more contemporary and popular repertoire.
All music students have the opportunity to perform regularly. Evening concerts throughout the year showcase both instrumental and choral groups, whilst lunch-hour and studio concerts, School Assemblies and special events such as the House Music Festival and Battle of the Bands, give further opportunities for Shore musicians to perform for their peers.
Shore currently offers two music scholarships. The Merewether scholarship and the RAI Grant scholarship are available to boys entering Year 7 in the Senior School. Please click here for more details.
The School offers excellent private tuition on most instruments. Lessons are arranged on a weekly basis, and can occur both during and outside school time. Please address all enquiries to the Performing Arts Administrative Assistant:
Tel: 02 9900 4728
Fax: 02 9900 4750