Buildings and Grounds
The School stands on a site of just over eight hectares on a hill-top two hundred metres from North Sydney railway and bus station. It has magnificent views of the Harbour and the City of Sydney.
Within the site are all the classroom blocks, administrative offices, the Library/Resource Centre, Information Technology Centre, Lecture Theatres, a 500 seat auditorium and an Assembly Hall. The BH Travers Centre, opened in 2000, incorporates the Playfair Hall, the Boer War Contingent Memorial Library, the Information Technology Department and a gymnasium. The Chapel, dedicated in 1915, can seat 350 and occupies a central position in the School. Nearby are four Boarding Houses and a central Dining Hall.
The Preparatory School (founded 1926), adjoins the main School on the western side. It was significantly upgraded in 2006 and the complex provides expanded classroom and other educational accommodation for Prep boys.
For organised games at North Sydney there is one oval, as well as numerous cricket nets, tennis and basketball courts. There is also a fully equipped physical education complex with two gymnasiums, circuit and weights training areas, two squash courts and an eight-lane 25 metre swimming pool, with separate diving-pool.
The School's main sports facility is at Northbridge, five kilometres to the north where the School bought 9 hectares of land in 1916. This now has one of the finest ovals in Sydney and five other full-sized ovals, as well as tennis courts, pavilions and dressing rooms. The Northbridge campus also incorporates the K-2, Early Learning Centre and Long Day Care, opened in 2003 as a significant addition to the Preparatory School at North Sydney. The grounds were opened in 1919 as a memorial to the 880 Old Boys who served and the 122 who died in the Great War.
Rowing has been part of the School tradition since 1890. The Gladesville Rowing and Function Centre is pleasantly situated on Looking Glass Bay, Gladesville, ten kilometres west of North Sydney on the Parramatta River.
The School also owns about 20 hectares of bush land at Linden in the Blue Mountains.
In 2009, the School acquired the adjacent site Graythwaite and this 2.7 hectare site has given a whole fresh perspective to the School and educational opportunities.
If you would like to know more about Graythwaite please send your request for information to the Shore Bursar, Kathy Dickson at email@example.com.